Monday, December 18, 2006

.....ah, but is it crochet


amazing how many times I have been asked that very question. What they are looking at is a beautiful piece of jewelry, apparently spun from strands of sterling silver or fine silver, sometimes 14k gold fill wire or even color rich wire that is copper based.

Beautiful neckpieces, lacy, some with the addition of gemstone beads and crystals, amulet bags, just waiting to hold anything from "pin money" or of late, I have been making them sized for condoms. They are surprisingly popular. I have also been working on cell phone bags, but those have a way to go, due to different diminution of phones out there. Bracelets are also popular, again I use lots of crystals and a weave like stitch called the afghan stitch, very wide cuff of over 1" with random sparkles. gotta have sparkles. Is this where I confess that I am known in the family as the sparkle slut?

I have so much fun making these and everyone who sees them comment on how different they are from other kinds of jewelry. The funny thing is, most people want to learn how to make it, or want to buy a kit cause they know how to crochet but want everything gathered together for them. So I now find myself not just making jewelry designs once...I need to write down how I make it, while I am making it. Family members will not sit with me any longer while I'm working and they watch TV, all cause I have been known to yell out, "write down chain 5 skip 3 then double cro...Wait, where are you going...No wait" no, it's not pretty.

I have been very lucky and for the past 10 years have been writing exclusively for Lapidary Journal/ Step by Step Beads and then Wire. In that time 13 projects have been published, and I plan on bringing them out as kits. And I have begun to teach, so that's new too.

Doing this blog is another new thing for me, so far not too bad. Course, I opened the blog April-06 and here it is December. I'm usually better at deadlines that this...

No comments: